Tuesday, August 16, 2011




No, they aren't enchilladas...

For my dinner tonight I chose a recipe from Crepes : Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Home Cook by Lou Seibert Pappas, 1998. I don't know how long I've had this cookbook but I got it for Christmas one year and I don't think I ever used it.

The book was never really in any danger of being weeded from my cookbook shelf but I figured I would cook something from it since I never have. I used to be a real crepe-girl when I was in college. I really liked to make strawberry crepes for my friends. So, it was kind of a joy getting back to it. I'll have to make them more often. They are so good and tastey.

The recipe I chose was on page 55, Wild Mushroom Crepes. Well, you can't get wild mushrooms in the Ansonia, Connecticut Stop and Shop, so it had to be half fresh white mushrooms and half shitaki mushrooms. You fry up some shallots in olive oil then cook the mushrooms for a minute. It smelled so good when the mushrooms and shallots were together. Then after that you mix ricotta cheese, shredded gruyere, salt, pepper, an egg, and tarragon and then mix with the mushrooms. Then you roll the crepes and top with shredded parmesean and bake it for 15 min. They turned out pretty good. The recipe showed one crepe with a piece of salmon, but I just ate two crepes and that was my meal.

For the savory crepes, I used whole wheat flour. There were also other savory crepe recipes you could chose in the book. The only thing that was kind of a pain was you had to let the batter sit for 2 hours. I just made it last night and put it in the fridge.

Apparently there is a 2006 update for this book. I don't think I'll need it. The Wild Mushroom Crepes are still in that edition!




No comments: