Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Cookies

I made two batches of cookies today.  This is the first weekend in a long time that I actually stayed in my apartment for two days.  It sort of makes me feel like I didn't have a weekend.  I didn't want to really go out because the stores are crowded and I'm finished with my Xmas shopping.   At least I got a lot of cleaning done. 

So, today I made a batch of cookies called Drop Sugar Cookies from The All New Good Housekeeping Cook Book (2001).  This is one of my favorite cookbooks.  Almost everything I have tried in it has been a success.  The only complaint I had with this recipe is that it says it makes 42 cookies and it really only made about 30.  I followed the instructions and I even used my cookie scooper.  I might have doubled it if I wasn't already planning to make another batch of different cookies.  I started out putting red sugar sprinkles on the first batch.  I thought they looked okay but I decided to do the rest plain.  They taste really good and are much easier than having to use a cookie cutter to make sugar cookies.

The second batch of cookies I made were my grandmother's anisette cookies.  I have the recipe in my old recipe box tin that I've had since I was a little girl.  I don't think I really copied the instructions for the recipe right because I left out some of the ingredients in some of the instructions but it was easy enough to figure out what to do.  These cookies really need to be formed using a cookie press or pastry bag.  My grandmother used to make them with a meat grinder with a pastry attachment hooked onto it.  I couldn't remember if I had a pastry bag but I had a pastry tip.  So, I tried using a freezer bag that I had cut the corner and placed the tip in the corner.  I went through three bags that kept bursting and I just gave up and made the cookies into balls.  After you bake the cookies, you  ice them with a glaze made from confectioner's sugar and milk.  If someone reads this blog and wants the recipe, email me. 




No comments: