Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lentil Stew

I just found out that Comcast is making everyone get a cable box to go digital instead of just plugging the cable right into the TV. I got my new cable box tonight from UPS. The instructions said that it could take 45 minutes to initialize your new equipment. So, I chopped up the veggies for this stew and set it up to simmer while I tried to hook up the cable equipment.

I chose this recipe from the Betty Crocker's Choices Cookbook, copyright 1993. I have had this cookbook all these years and I've rarely used it. Since I'm trying new things, I thought I'd better find something I want to cook in this book or donate it.

The stew turned out pretty good, the new Cable equipment didn't. Now I'm stewing literally while I eat my lentil stew that I have to take a half day off of work Monday to wait for the cable guy.

New Choices Cookbook gives little symbols at the top of each recipe so you can see how healthy each recipe is. This one says it's low calories, low fat, low cholesterol and high fiber...almost a full house of healthiness. The one thing it doesn't say is "low sodium". I didn't think 1/2 tsp. of salt was much though.

This is the first time I've tried a recipe that uses the spice mace. It is pretty good. The stew is a little on the spicy side. I'm not sure that the recipe is something I would really crave but I might cook it again.




No comments: