Wednesday, May 04, 2011


Sassy Meatloaf

So, this week I didn't feel like cooking at all. I had cereal for dinner last night and Monday night I think I continued eating my lentil stew from last week. I have so much lentil stew now. I hope it freezes well. Forcing myself to cook tonight, I decided to go for meatloaf. I don't really have a favorite meatloaf recipe. It's not really something I cook that often. I think I have a few good recipes that make pretty tasty loaves. One of them is Jacques Pepin's recipe that calls for ginger and I think ground turkey from his "Simple and Healthy Cooking" book.

Since I'm cooking new recipes, I chose Sassy Meatloaf on page 217 of "Simply the Best : 250 Prize-Winning Recipes" from Weight Watchers (1997). The recipe looks pretty healthy. You use lean ground beef, oatmeal, plum tomatoes, mushrooms, shredded carrots and salsa. It tastes pretty good. I don't know if I would call it "sassy" though. For a side dish I pan-cooked some spinach with olive oil and a clove of garlic. I think I overdid it with the garlic because the garlic taste was pretty strong as I was eating the meatloaf. The recipe was tasty though and now I have five more servings of meatloaf. I am going to try to put them in small freezer bags and hope that they don't break up when I put them in the freezer.

I use this cookbook often. So, maybe I should have chosen another cookbook to find a recipe so I could try to de-clutter. I actually set one cookbook aside for donation last week if you can believe it. I think it was something I picked up in a dollar store when I was in college so I don't know if it really counts. At least it's not taking up space on the shelf anymore.

No comments: